Mixtape: Murder Ballads
1. Jimi Hendrix – Hey Joe
2. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds – The Curse of Millhaven
Of course, Nick Cave could have a mixtape of murder ballads all to himself and still have a few left over, but this is among my favorites: the sick and twisted tale of a girl as she kills off residents of her small town before getting caught.
3. Eagles of Death Metal – Midnight Creeper [Download]
4. Gnarls Barkley – Necromancer
It’s a song about necrophilia. Apparently Cee-Lo prefers his sexual encounters to be with dead women. Which is probably the most ballsy song topic ever.
5. Guns N’ Roses – Used To Love Her
Back before Axl Rose was a total dick, when he still wrote semi-decent songs, he wrote a tune about getting sick of his lover and burying her in his back yard. “She bitched so much, she drove me nuts, and now we’re happier this way.” Priceless.
6. Rage Against the Machine – How Could I Just Kill A Man
Zach de la Rocha’s just your average gangster, and killing's fine by him.
7. Johnny Cash – Hung My Head
Cash’s version of Sting’s “Hung My Head” is beautiful and despairing, and, in my humble opinion, better that Sting could ever do it himself.
8. Kings of Leon – Joe’s Head
9. Wilco – Via Chicago [Download]
He sat and watched her bleed. Gnarly. Plus, in the live version, there’s two crazy-ass noise breakdowns that own.
10. The Decemberists – The Mariner’s Revenge Song [Download]
My personal favorite Decemberists’ track. This song is “The Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner” for a new generation and follows the narrator as he seeks revenge on the man who killed his mother.
- Dominick Duhamel -
Tags: Mixtape, Murder Ballad, mp3